LinkedIn. Facebook. Twitter. Pinterest. Instagram. YouTube. FourSquare. Tumbler. With so many different social media sharing sites, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Each has unique strengths, weaknesses, and audiences. Picking the right social media sharing strategy for your business is crucial for building social proof with your target audience.
In this post, you’ll learn how to share on the “Big 3”: LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
How to Share Content On LinkedIn
Hopefully you’ve had a chance to review The LinkedIn Essentials, as I cover all of this in that book, but if not, here’s a quick and easy reminder of how to post Status Updates and Share Content on LinkedIn.
There are two main places where you’ll want to share content on LinkedIn: Status Updates and LinkedIn Groups. LinkedIn Status Updates appear in your Activity Feed. Which is similar to your Facebook Wall and will appear to all of your connections on LinkedIn. Posting in specific groups on LinkedIn will appear only to members of that particular group.
LinkedIn Status Updates
- First log in to your LinkedIn account. By default you will be shown your Activity Feed.
- Locate your Status Update Entry Box next to your profile picture.
- Click inside the Status Update Entry Box and enter the content you would like to share.
- As you begin to type, you will notice that if you type in a company or organization name, LinkedIn gives you the ability to “tag” that company.
- Finish typing your Status Update, then from the drop down list, choose whom you would like to share this Status Update with: Public with Twitter (if your twitter account is connected to your LinkedIn account), Public (just the general public on LinkedIn), or only your direct LinkedIn connections. Choosing Public will have a greater reach than choosing Connections.
- Finally, click the Share button. Your status update now appears in your activity feed.
Share on LinkedIn Groups
- First, hover over Interests from the main navigation bar, and choose Groups from the drop down menu.
- Locate the Discussion Topic Entry Box on the Groups page.
- When you click your cursor into the discussion box, you’ll see areas to type a discussion topic (ie, headline) and description. You may also enter links into the description box.
- After typing your discussion topic (headline) and description, choose which group you would you like to share this Topic with from the “Share With:” drop down box.
- Next, click the Share button, and your post will be shared in the designated group.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to post the same content in different groups.
How to Like and Share Content on Facebook
Typically information that you are likely to share on Facebook will appear in your Facebook Timeline. But unless you specifically added your company’s Facebook page to your timeline, you won’t see it there. The best way to access your company’s Facebook posts is to log into Facebook and share it (or like it) direct from the company page.
Liking Content on Facebook
- Liking posts on Facebook is so simple. From your Timeline feed, or company page, locate the “like” link in the bottom left hand corner and click it.
Sharing Content on Facebook
- Log in to Facebook and locate the Update Status Entry Box at the top of your Facebook Timeline..
- Copy and paste any text or links you want to share. Then press the Post button.
Alternatively, you can also share content directly from the company page
- Find your company’s Facebook page by searching for your company name in the search bar on the main Facebook navigation.
- Find a post you want to share, and click the Share link in the bottom left hand corner of the post.
- You can share a post directly to your timeline, for all your friends to see. Or you can post it directly to a specific friend’s timeline, to a group, or send it as a private message to a friend. By posting it on your own timeline you are ensuring that the most people possible will see this post.
- Finally, if you’d like to add your own thoughts to the post before sending it, you may do so where it says “…Write Something”. When finished, click “Share Status” and your shared post will appear at the top of your Facebook feed.
How to Share Content on Twitter
A Tweet is a Twitter single update of 140 characters or less, which can include @Mentions to other users, hashtags, external links, or simply regular text. A Retweet or “RT” is when you take a tweet from one user and post it yourself, automatically crediting the source, so that all of your followers can see the tweet.
How to Share New Content on Twitter: Tweeting
If you want to let your followers know what you are doing, type it into the ‘What’s happening?’ text box and then click on the ‘Tweet’ button. Note that tweets are limited to 140 characters or less.
- First, log into your Twitter account, and click on the Compose New Tweet Icon in the upper right hand corner of the Twitter navigation. Alternatively, you can also enter text into the Compose New Tweet Text Entry Box under your profile image on the left hand column.
- As you type be sure to mention users by adding an “@” symbol before a user’s name. A drop down list of users will appear, so that you may select the proper user.
- Since Twitter only allows 144 charactors, it’s a good idea to use a free link shortening service like Bit.ly.
- After you’ve finished typing your tweet, post it by clicking the Tweet button.
How to Share Existing Content on Twitter:ReTweeting
- Find a Tweet you want to ReTweet (ie share) either from your company page, or your Twitter Feed.
- Once you have found a Tweet that you would like to ReTweet(ie share), click on the ReTweet button.
- A popup box will show the Tweet that you are about to ReTweet to your followers. Finish by clicking the ReTweet button.
- Your ReTweet will appear under your profile on the list of Tweets sent out by you.
If you’re still having trouble sharing content on social media, check out the following:
Sharing for ShareVault
As you’ve probably heard me talking about these past few weeks, we are beefing up our Social Sharing activity here at ShareVault to help increase our SEO rankings and thereby our inbound leads. The more “Shares” and “likes” we get the better. This section will teach you how to SHARE and LIKE specific ShareVault social media content on LinkedIn, and “like” content on Facebook.
All you will need to do is:
- Log into LinkedIn and copy and paste the text and/or link into your LinkedIn Status Update Box and click “Share” as outlined in the instructions above.
- Click on the hyperlinks in the email to be directed to a specific Facebook or LinkedIn Post. Click the “like” button.
- Optional:If you have a Twitter account AND would like to
Retweet ShareVault content, or if you’d like to share additional content on LinkedIn (perhaps in a LinkedIn group), you may Retweet or Share the content in the last section of the email.